TREASURE ISLAND PUBLIC WORKS: STREETLIGHTS
Jim Murphy, Director
727-547-4575 ext. 250
So there is a streetlight that is out on your street or your favorite after-dark walking route.
The streetlight system in the public right of way in the City of Treasure Island belongs to and is the responsibility of the local power company, Progress Energy, to maintain. Occasionally, we in the Public Works Department will get requests from citizens to respond to street light issues. While we don’t mind helping in this issue, it is much more expedient and efficient for the citizen who has discovered the out of service streetlight to report it themselves. Calling the Public Works Department just puts another person in the communication link, requires us to come out to the site to get the pole number and takes us away from our job of maintaining the infrastructure that we are responsible for.
So, how do I report a streetlight that is out of service?
This is a photograph of a power pole number tag. They are typically located 7 to 8 feet above the grade level on the pole facing the street side. In this case the pole number is clearly shown as 172231. If the street light is out of service on this pole, simply write down the pole number and the closest address where the pole is located. Pass this information on to Progress Energy through their website at the following link https://secure.progress-energy.com/sid/custservice/fla/selfservice/electric/streetlight?page=res. They will provide this number and location to the street light crew that repairs the lights. Shortly, this light should be returned to service.
Some suggestions ....
- Report outages immediately. Don't wait to compile a long list of outages. The sooner an outage is reported, the sooner Progress Energy can respond.
- It's important that you provide good contact information. Please provide a valid phone number.
- Good directions to the light are important, especially if the light is part of a large complex. For example: "Light out on NW corner of Sun Ketch II across from ball park" is preferable to "Light out in Sun Ketch II."
- When identifying outages, please provide the closest physical building/prermise address. For example: "The light in front of 8000 West Gulf Boulevard," rather than "Light out at West Gulf Boulevard and 80th Avenue." This allows crews to locate the light quickly, even during daylight hours.
- If possible, provide a pole number or mark the pole with colored tape. Include that information in your report.
- Please provide details on the outage, such as whether the light is cycling on and off, whether there is noticeable damage to the fixture and/or pole, or whether the light is constantly on.
PUBLIC WORKS HOME
nUsed Appliance Pickup
nPlants & Lawns
nHazardous Waste Disposal
nPrint-friendly flyer for TI recycling
nA to Z Guide to Recycling & Disposal
Roads & Streetlights