Why Do I Need a Permit For Home Improvements
When you decide to undertake a home improvement project, you probably spend time considering style, color, and whether you'll need to hire a contractor or architect. Most homeowners do not realize that permits are for the health, safety and protection (unlicensed contractors, fire, etc) of themselves and the neighborhood, and most of all are required by state and city laws.
But don't forget one last important step: determine whether you will need a building permit and consider getting a private appraisal prior to the start of construction by emailing the city at email@example.com.
When Do I Need a Permit For Home Improvements
Because the city of Treasure Island is in a special flood hazard area (flood zone), most projects require a building permit. Below, the city has compiled a shortlist of projects requiring permits.
Outside of your home:
• Erecting or replacing a fence
• Installing or altering the porch/patio
• Installing new irrigation/landscaping
• Adding, removing, or altering the pattern of pavers
• Installing or altering driveways and walkways
• Installing pool decks and pool equipment
• Repairing/replacing the sewer line
• Replacing any impact-resistant coverings such as windows, doors or shutters
• Stuccoing or applying other exterior coverings
Inside of your home:
• Remodeling kitchen and bathroom
• Adding/removing walls
• Changing the use of a room (i.e.: turning a garage into a room)
• Adding an addition to your home.
• Altering the plumbing in your home
• Altering the mechanical (HVAC) system in your home.
• Altering the electrical system in your home.
And lots more
Ordinary minor repairs may be made with the approval of the building official without a permit.
- Some examples of when permits are not required:
- Installing Gutters
- Maintenance – irrigation systems, mechanical systems (HVAC) and pool systems
- Replacing Fabric for Awnings and Pool Coverings
- Applying Driveway Coatings
- Maintaining Landscaping
- Assemble Exercise Equipment
- Assemble Toys
- Assemble Furniture
- Assemble Gas Grills
- Change Light Bulbs
- Clean and Change Ceiling Fan Blades
- Clean Garages
- Clean Gutters
- Edge Lawn
- Hang Pictures
- Haul Trash to Dump
- Install Garage Organizers
- Move Furniture
- Mow Lawn
- Pressure Clean Driveways and Walkways (no Roofs)
- Rake Leaves
- Repair Screens
- Replace Caulking
- Replace Door Handles
- Wash Windows
- Residential//Commercial Cleaning
- Construction Cleaning
How do I Obtain a Building Permit? CLICK HERE