Resident Parking Pass Application

Application for Resident Parking Pass

The Resident Parking Pass (Res. 2020-01) is only available to City of Treasure Island residents or property owners and is valid for the calendar year in which it was purchased. Each household is allowed to purchase either one pass (with valid proof of residency), or two (with proof of two vehicle registrations at your T.I.household address). Below are the acceptable documents to prove residency or ownership in the City of Treasure Island:
  • Vehicle Registration (2 required if purchasing 2 passes)
  • Valid Driver’s License (or other government issued photo ID)
  • Current Voter ID
  • Rental agreement (6 months minimum)
  • Property deed, or
  • Current Pinellas County property tax receipt 
Resident Parking Passes cannot be replaced if lost, stolen, or otherwise misplaced/destroyed.

The Pass is valid in City-metered parking zones except:

  • City of St. Petersburg Municipal Beach – Gulf Blvd. and 112th Ave. (not a T.I. parking lot)
  • Ring Billed Gull – W. Gulf Blvd. between 82nd and 81st Ave.
  • Brown Pelican – 8700 block of W. Gulf Blvd.
  • Black Skimmer – W. Gulf Blvd between 80th Ter. And 80th Ave.
  • Sunset Inn – W. Gulf between 80th Ave. and 79th Ter.; and
  • Street-end parking at 127th Ave., 102nd Ave., 101st Ave., and 99th Ave.
  • Any and all private parking lots

-Please complete this form below with your information. Remember, do not forget to attach the required documentation at the bottom of the form.

-Staff will review your application and send payment instructions once we review--typically within 24 business hours. 

-Additionally, if you do not actively receive mail at your T.I. address, please include an alternate mailing address below. The USPS will only deliver mail if it is addressed to an individual recognized as living at that address. The City will only attempt one re-delivery for returned mail before holding it at City Hall for in-person collection. 

Your Name:

Your Treasure Island Address (no need to include city, state, and zip):

Apt. / Unit # (if applicable):

Are you purchasing 1 or 2 passes?

Best phone number to call for payment:

Email: *

Please attach proof of residency AND government ID:

Comments (optional): (e.g. "I would like to pick up my pass" or "can my pass be mailed to a different address", etc.)
Please note: if you do not indicate otherwise in this section, we will mail to your T.I. address

*Please, be advised that all government correspondence is subject to the Chapter 119, Florida Statutes, Public Records Law, including the submission of email addresses as part of regular communications.