Treasure Island Fire Rescue is pleased to announce its partnership with the American Red Cross Smoke Alarm installation program. This program will help to ensure that all homes in Treasure Island have a working smoke alarm and the information necessary to prevent a home fire. If you are in need of a smoke alarm for your primary residence in Treasure Island, call our fire administration office at 727-547-4590 to schedule a free smoke alarm installation. Firefighters will visit your home and perform a safety inspection, install up to two smoke alarms and provide helpful home safety literature.
For more information please go to https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/fire/home-fire-preparedness.html
7 Ways to Prevent a House Fire
1. Install the right number of smoke alarms. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
2. Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
3. Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
4. Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
5. Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire “to alert everyone that they must get out.
6. Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
7. Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.