|Treasure Island Police Department Accreditation
Accreditation is a coveted award that symbolizes professionalism, excellence, and competence. The members of the Treasure Island Police Department take pride in their agency and are devoted to upholding and maintaining these high standards of professionalism for the City of Treasure Island and its community.
Benefits to Our Community
- Accreditation increases the law enforcement agency’s ability to prevent and control crime through more effective and efficient delivery of law enforcement services to the community it serves.
- Accreditation enhances community understanding of the law enforcement agency and its role in the community as well as its goals and objectives. Citizen confidence in the policies and practices of the agency is increased.
- Accreditation, in conjunction with the philosophy of community policing, commits the agency to a broad range of programs (such as crime prevention) that directly benefit the public.
- Accreditation creates a forum in which police and citizens work together to control and prevent crime. This partnership will help citizens to understand the challenges that confront law enforcement. Law enforcement will, in turn, receive clear direction from the community about its expectations. Thus, a common set of goals and objectives will be arrived at and implemented.
- The accreditation process requires an in-depth review of every aspect of the agency’s organization, management, operations, and administration.
- Re-evaluation of whether agency resources are being used in accord with agency goals, objectives, and mission.
- Re-evaluation of agency policies and procedures, especially as documented in the agency’s written directive system.
- Accreditation requires that agency policies and procedures are in written form and are available to all agency personnel at all times.
- The accreditation standards provide norms against which agency performance can be measured and monitored over time.
- Accreditation provides the agency with a continuous flow of updated Commission-distributed information about exemplary policies, procedures, and projects.
- Accreditation provides objective measures to justify decisions related to budget requests and personnel policies.
- Accreditation assures employees that every aspect of the agency’s personnel system is in accord with professional standards, and that the system is both fair and equitable.
- Accreditation standards address officer safety issues and provide for adequate training and equipment of the officers.