Would you like to donate an item or money for an item such as a tree, bench, plaque or engraved brick pavers, and similar items to be placed/installed at a City facility or public property to commemorate a special event or life of a loved one?
- A request to donate a commemorative item shall be submitted in writing to the Recreation Director. Commemoratives shall be in honor or in recognition of a current or past resident (or relative of a resident) or business owner of Pinellas County; or an anniversary, birth, or other special Any exceptions must receive the approval of the City Manager or City Commission.
- The request shall be reviewed by the director of the department responsible for the facility where the commemorative item is to be placed. A staff recommendation will be submitted to the Recreation Director for consideration and The Recreation Director may request City Manager or City Commission consideration of the proposed commemorative when he/she believes it to be appropriate to do so.
- The City prefers to receive a cash donation for the The cash donation shall cover the cost of the commemorative(s); the labor and accessories to install the commemorative and any Administrative charges to manage the project. The City will purchase the item. The cash donation for the commemorative and labor for installation shall be paid in full and in advance. The City will not collect monies nor hold donations in escrow. Any funds remaining after the purchase and installation of the commemorative shall be returned to the individual(s) or organization(s) making the donation.
- A donation of a specific commemorative item, whether or not in honor or celebration of someone, may be accepted with the approval of the City. Acceptance shall be at the discretion of the Recreation Director. This will ensure the item is appropriate for the location where it will be placed, meets City standards for construction soundness, durability and safety, and other considerations such as consistency with other donated items like paver bricks, benches and the like.
- The donor shall sign a statement that he/she acknowledges and agrees:
- The City has no duty to guarantee or maintain the commemorative beyond the guarantee given by the manufacturer of the item.
- The City has no duty to replace commemorative items that are damaged by vandalism, weather, age, diseased, etc.
- The City has no duty to transport or replace tree(s) or otherwise move or replace a commemorative that has been removed due to construction, paving, change in park design, damage or unsafe conditions, etc.
- The donated item shall become the property of the City and the City has no duty to return the item to the donor.
- The City may confer with the donor concerning preference regarding the species, size (caliper or spread), and location of the tree(s), bench, engraved pavers or other commemorative item as may be appropriate. The donor shall sign a statement that he/she acknowledges and agrees the final decision concerning the commemorative to be donated and its placement location shall rest with the City.
- A recognition plaque or a bench, of a size and material approved by the City, may be placed with the donated item and may include such wording as "Commemorating or Celebrating, the life of Jane Doe, or 50th Anniversary of, or the birth of, but may not say "in memory of'. The donor shall sign a statement that he or she acknowledges and agrees that the City will have no duty to repair or replace the donated item should it be diseased, damaged, vandalized, removed or stolen. However, the tree(s), plaque, paver or bench may be replaced or repaired by the City upon written request and advance payment by the donor for the cost of the replacement or repair and staff time to replace or repair.