MAIN NUMBER & HELP DESK 727-547-4575 ext. 230
In order to find out if the residential property you own can be rented out, first locate the property on the City’s Zoning Map and check the legend.
- The YELLOW zones (RU-75) - allows for 2 changes of occupancy in a 12 month period.
- The GOLDEN ROD (RM-15) allows 5 changes of occupancy in a 12 month period.
The remainder of the City has no zoning restrictions on short-term rental. However, please remember condominium and homeowner association rules may establish additional restrictions. These are enforced by the association and not the City.
WHAT IS A CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY?
As the property owner you can visit your dwelling unit when you choose. However, a change of occupancy does not have to be for payment.
- If you are NOT on the property – and you give out your key for someone to use the dwelling for a period of time, such as visiting in-laws, friends from your house of worship, cousins, college friends, or business acquaintances – that is a change of occupancy.
- If you rent out the unit and there is an exchange of money - that is a change in occupancy.
- If you are staying on the property – and some people come to visit while you are there, such as visiting in-laws, friends from your house of worship, cousins, college friends, or business acquaintances – that is NOT a change of occupancy.
RENTING OUT YOUR PROPERTY
When you rent out your property, a City of Treasure Island Local Business Tax must be paid annually. The current fee schedule for rentals is as follows:
- 1 rental unit - $24.31
- 2 to 5 rental units - $6.04 each
- Each additional rental unit over 5 - $4.83 each
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact the Zoning Department at 727-547-4575 ext 239.